In this blog post, I’m diving into a detailed comparison between two popular Rode microphones: the Rode VideoMicro and the Rode VideoMic Pro. As a filmmaker and content creator, choosing the right microphone is crucial for capturing high-quality audio. Let’s explore the differences, features, and performance of these two mics to help you decide which one might be the best fit for your needs.
Overview of the Microphones
- Price: Under £40 in the UK (prices may vary globally).
- Power: No battery required.
- Size: Compact and ideal for vlogging.
- Features: Comes with a Rycote shock mount and a windshield.
- Usage: Simple plug-and-play with no batteries, making it convenient for on-the-go shooting.
Rode VideoMic Pro
- Price: Around £140 for the older model; the newer Pro Plus is about £200.
- Power: Requires a 9-volt battery (older model) or has an internal battery charged via USB (Pro Plus).
- Features: Offers +20 dB boost, -10 dB reduction, and a low-cut filter. Includes a Rycote mount and plugs in via a jack to your camera.
- Size: Larger than the VideoMicro.
- Usage: Manual on/off switch (older model) or automatic on/off (Pro Plus).
Comparison and Testing
- I conducted a test by reading lyrics to showcase the audio quality of both microphones. The test was done with both mics positioned similarly in the shot.
- The audio from both mics was recorded straight out of the camera with no effects added, except for slight volume adjustments for a fair comparison.
Additional Features of VideoMic Pro
- The VideoMic Pro offers additional features like the ability to boost or reduce audio levels and a low-cut filter for eliminating background noise.
- The Pro Plus model has an automatic on/off feature, which is convenient for ensuring the mic is always ready when the camera is on.
Size and Portability
- The VideoMicro’s small size makes it an excellent choice for vloggers or those looking for a compact, travel-friendly microphone.
- The VideoMic Pro is larger and more suited for professional setups where size is less of a concern.
Who Should Choose the VideoMicro?
- If you’re looking for a budget-friendly, compact microphone for vlogging or casual use, the VideoMicro is a great choice. Its plug-and-play functionality and no need for batteries make it incredibly user-friendly.
Who Should Choose the VideoMic Pro?
- For those requiring more advanced features like audio level adjustment and low-cut filters, the VideoMic Pro is the better option. It’s more suited for professional use where audio quality and versatility are paramount.
- Both microphones offer great value for their respective price points. The choice ultimately depends on your specific needs, budget, and the type of content you are creating.
You can check out the microphones discussed in this post below: