Today, I’m excited to share my experience with the Lupo Smartpanel Dual Color, touted as the brightest on-camera LED video light in the world. Lupo has a reputation for high-quality production lighting, and this model is their venture into more consumer-friendly lights. Let’s dive into what makes this light a standout choice for filmmakers and photographers.
Unboxing and First Impressions
What’s in the Box
- The Smartpanel Dual Color Light: The main attraction, boasting a solid plastic build with a simple yet robust design.
- Plastic Diffuser: A simple, practical, and nearly indestructible diffuser.
- Heavy-Duty Ball Joint: For connecting the light to stands or cameras.
- Cold Shoe Adapter: Allows attachment to a camera or cage.
- USB Type-A to Type-C Cable: For powering the light.
Price and Availability
- Cost: £165 in the UK, with varying prices globally. Check here for pricing.
Build and Design
- Material: Solid feeling plastic, reminiscent of a car bumper in terms of durability.
- Size: Comparable to an iPhone 11 Pro Max in length and height, but deeper.
- Controls: Simple on/off switch, two adjustable knobs for brightness and color temperature.
- Mounting Options: Three quarter-twenty threads on three sides and an AC power socket and USB type-C socket on the fourth side.
- Battery Indicator: Three LEDs indicating battery charge level.
Performance and Features
Brightness and Color Temperature
- Luminosity: Rated at 4200 lux at one meter, making it incredibly bright.
- Color Temperature: Ranges from 3200K to 5600K, offering versatility from daylight to tungsten-like warmth.
- CRI: High CRI of 96 for accurate color reproduction.
- Versatility: Can be powered by Sony NPF style batteries, AC adapter, USB-C, or V-mount batteries (with an adapter).
- Convenience: Multiple power options ensure the light is always operational.
Diffuser and Light Quality
- Diffuser: Simple and effective, though it may leak a bit of light from the sides.
- Light Quality: Provides a good balance of brightness and diffusion.
Adjustability and Ease of Use
- Dials: Brightness and temperature dials are easy to adjust but can be accidentally moved while repositioning the light.
- Temperature Readout: Lacks an LCD screen to display exact color temperature and brightness level.
Durability and Weather Resistance
- Construction: Not waterproof or weather-sealed, with visible vents that could allow moisture ingress.
The Lupo Smartpanel Dual Color is an impressive on-camera LED light, especially for its brightness and color temperature range. While it excels in performance, some minor improvements in design could enhance its usability. It’s a great choice for secondary lighting situations, offering both warm and cool temperature options without the need for gels.
If you’re looking for a powerful, versatile on-camera light, the Lupo Smartpanel Dual Color is definitely worth considering. Check out the following links: