In this blog post, I’m diving into the details of the Manfrotto Be Free 3 Way Live Advanced Travel Tripod. This unique tripod is designed for both video and photography, making it an ideal choice for hybrid shooters like myself. Let’s explore what makes this tripod stand out.
Key Features and Build Quality
- Material and Construction: The tripod features aluminum construction for the tubes and a cast aluminum center bracket. It also includes several rigid plastic components and rubberized features like the carry handle and feet.
- Payload Capacity: It boasts a payload of 6 kilograms, which is impressive for a travel tripod of this size.
- Three-Way Fluid Drag Head: The main highlight is its three-way fluid drag head, offering smooth pan and tilt movements. It also allows for portrait photography and vertical video shooting.
- Compatibility: It comes with the Manfrotto 501 base plate and supports Arca Swiss plates.
- Weight and Portability: Weighing 2 kilograms, it’s not the lightest but is reasonably portable, especially considering its fluid head system.
- Compact Design: When folded, it measures just 40 centimeters in length, thanks to its reverse leg system.
- Maximum Height: It extends up to 151 centimeters, suitable for various shooting scenarios.
Stability and Usability
- Stability: The tripod offers good stability for a travel model, balancing lightness and compactness without compromising too much on sturdiness.
- Leg Adjustment: It features three locking positions for the legs, allowing for various angles and stability on uneven surfaces.
- Center Column Features: The center column is removable for underslung mode and has a twist-to-lock mechanism. However, it lacks a hook for hanging a bag for extra stability.
- Easy Link: A 3/8 thread on the center bracket allows for attaching accessories like a magic arm or monitor arm.
- Carry Case: It includes a padded carry case with a zip for access and a padded shoulder strap.
- Retail Price: The tripod is priced at £249, but deals can be found, sometimes as low as £187.
Pros and Cons
- Super compact and reasonably lightweight.
- Excellent fluid head system for smooth movements.
- High-quality build typical of Manfrotto products.
- Missing hook on the center column.
- No adjustable resistance on the fluid head.
- The base plate locking nut’s position can interfere with battery changes in some cameras.
The Manfrotto Be Free 3 Way Live Advanced Travel Tripod is a fantastic choice for hybrid shooters who need versatility in both photography and videography. While it has a few minor drawbacks, its benefits, especially the fluid head system, make it a valuable tool for solo shooters and professionals alike. It’s going to be my main tripod for both studio and outdoor shoots.
Check out the link for more information and to make a purchase of the Manfrotto Be Free 3 Way Live Advanced Travel Tripod.
Disclaimer: The tripod was provided by Manfrotto for review purposes. However, this is an unbiased review, and all opinions are my own.